The Melbourne Ice have won the 2015 Joan McKowen Trophy after defeating the Sydney Sirens 6-0 in the AWIHL grand final. The Ice started the finals weekend off with a win in the qualifiers against the Adelaide Adrenaline, advancing straight to the grand final. They then shutout the Sirens who were playing their second game of the day after defeating the Adrenaline 2-1 in the preliminary final in order to qualify for the grand final. In the third place game the Adrenaline defeated the Brisbane Goannas 5-1, salvaging something from the weekend after their preliminary final loss to the Sirens.
The season awards were also presented at the finals. The Goannas Courtney Poole received the Nellie Gee Rookie of the Year award. The others don’t seem to have been announced but we will update if they become known.
Opinion wise, the structure of the AWIHL’s finals really needs to be changed for future seasons. Making the Sirens play two games in one day surely gives the Ice a huge advantage in the final and makes it less competitive. A three team finals series, like the one currently used in the AJIHL, would suit the league a lot better with the preliminary final held on the Saturday and the grand final on the Sunday.
- Game 1: Melbourne Ice 5 – 1 Adelaide Adrenaline (16:00, 21 February 2015, Adelaide Ice Arena). Game Card
- Game 2: Sydney Sirens 2 – 1 Brisbane Goannas (17:45, 21 February 2015, Adelaide Ice Arena). Game Card
- Adelaide Adrenaline 1 – 2 Sydney Sirens (10:00, 22 February 2015, Adelaide Ice Arena). Game Card
Third Place Game:
- Adelaide Adrenaline 5 – 1 Brisbane Goannas (15:45, 22 February 2015, Adelaide Ice Arena). Game Card
- Melbourne Ice 6 – 0 Sydney Sirens (17:45, 22 February 2015, Adelaide Ice Arena). Game Card