Nathan Walker has signed a two year two-way contract with the St. Louis Blues ahead of the 2019-20 season. In the 2018-19 season Walker played 67 games for the Hershey Bears in the American Hockey League, picking up 44 points, and three games for the Washington Capitals in the National Hockey League, picking up one point.
The Advertiser is reporting that plans for the new ice rink in Elizabeth, South Australia have been shelved by the Playford Council. The move follows a report which warned of ratepayers being exposed to large financial risks. For more information see the article from The Advertiser.
The ACT government have released an options report for a new ice sports facility with the expression of interest process expected to begin next year.
iceHQ, a new ice arena in Victoria, is set to open tomorrow. The arena is located in the suburb of Reservoir and will be the third for the state after the O’Brien Group Arena and Oakleigh’s Olympic Ice Skating Centre. iceHQ’s ice sheet is 60 metres x 26 metres and the arena has a combined seating and standing capacity of 500. For more information see their For more information see the Facebook page
Ice Hockey Australia have released the roster for the Australian men’s national team for the upcoming 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division II Group A tournament. The competition will take place from 23 April to 29 April in Tilburg, The Netherlands with Australia competing against Belgium, China, Iceland, the Netherlands and Serbia.
– Jack Carpenter (Melbourne Ice)
– Brian Funes (HC Lidköping)
– Per Daniel Goransson (CBR Brave)
– Rob Haselhurst (Perth Thunder)
– Mat Lindsay (Newcastle Northstars)
– Robert Malloy (Newcastle Northstars)
– Michael McMahon (Melbourne Mustangs)
– Lliam Webster (Melbourne Ice)
– Matt Armstrong (Melbourne Ice)
– Billy Cliff (Sydney Ice Dogs)
– Wehebe Darge (Drakkars de Caen)
– Kai Miettinen (CBR Brave)
– Thomas Powell (Melbourne Ice)
– Josef Rezek (Adelaide Adrenaline)
– Beau Taylor (Daysland Northstars)
– Richard Tesarik (Sydney Bears)
– Cameron Todd (University of Jamestown)
– Kieren Webster (EHC Arosa)
– Chris Wong (Boro/Vetlanda)
– Jamie Woodman (Perth Thunder)
– Head Coach: Brad Vigon
– Assistant Coach: Matti Luoma
– Team Leader: Steve Ransome
– Team Manager: Ian Webster
– Equipment Manager: Petr Cirkl
– Doctor: Daniel George
– Physiotherapist: Ashleigh Trupiani
– Chiropractor: Rod Weiland
The AWIHL have announced that they will stream the 17 February exhibition game between the Sydney Sirens and Perth Inferno. The streaming will be provided by Thought Fox Media Group with commentary by Eric Brookes. The Sydney Sirens will host the Inferno in a two game exhibition series on 17 and 18 February at the Canterbury Olympic Ice Rink and Liverpool Catholic Club Ice Rink. The exhibition games are part of the Inferno’s bid to enter the AWIHL for the 2018-19 season.
– Perth Inferno – Sydney Sirens (17:00, 17 February 2018, Canterbury Olympic Ice Rink)
– Perth Inferno – Sydney Sirens (10:00, 18 February 2018, Liverpool Catholic Club Ice Rink)
Team USA have defeated Team Canada 10-6 at Hisense Arena in the final game of the 2017 Ice Hockey Classic. Team USA’s win tied the series at two games each following Canada’s wins in Newcastle and Sydney and the USA’s at the O’Brien Group Arena. The two teams then went into an overtime period to break the series tie with Canada scoring and claiming the series 3-2. Team Canada have now won all three editions of the Ice Hockey Classics, previously winning 3-1 in 2015 and 3-2 in 2016.
– Game 1: Team Canada 7-5 Team USA (14 June 2017, Hunter Ice Skating Stadium)
– Game 2: Team Canada 8-5 Team USA (17 June 2017, Qudos Bank Arena)
– Game 3: Team Canada 5-8 Team USA (22 June 2017, O’Brien Group Arena)
– Game 4: Team Canada 6-10 Team USA (24 June 2017, Hisense Arena)
– Team Canada defeat Team USA 1-0 in overtime following Game 4 to claim series 3-2
The Australian men’s under-18 team have lost to IK Oskarshamn J18 3-4 following a shootout in an exhibition game yesterday in Sweden. The team is currently in Sweden on a training camp before the start of the 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship Division II Group B tournament in Novi Sad, Serbia which begins on 13 March.