The Fifth Liners Podcast have announced that the Adrenaline have signed forward Benjamin Gavoille for the 2019 season. Gavoille, a French born New Zealand resident, played last season with the Dunedin Thunder in the New Zealand Ice Hockey League where he recorded 20 points in 17 games. In 2019 Gavoille represented New Zealand for the first time of the World Championships where he recorded three points in five games in the Division II Group B tournament. For more information see episode 37 of the podcast.
2016 All-Star Weekend
– The AIHL have released the preliminary rosters for the upcoming 2016 AIHL All-Star Weekend. The event is scheduled to take place at the Penrith Ice Palace on 11 June and 12 June with the two teams captained by Michael Schlamp and Matt Armstrong. For more information including the list of players see the announcement from the league.
Newcastle North Stars
– The North Stars have announced that defender David Ferrari has signed with Dunedin Thunder of the New Zealand Ice Hockey League for the 2016 season. Ferrari will continue with the North Stars until the end of May before departing for the start of the New Zealand season in June. He is however expected to return to the North Stars lineup for the 2017 AIHL season. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– The Thunder have announced that captain Sam Wilson is expected to miss six weeks after suffering a break in his arm in last weekends double header against the CBR Brave. Andrew Cox will take over the captaincy in his absence while Anthony Nottle will fill his place in the lineup. The injury will mean that Wilson will miss his first AIHL game since the Thunder joined the league in 2012. For more information see the club announcement.
– Fellow defender Per Daniel Goransson has also been placed on the injury list due to a slight muscle tear. He is expected to return to the lineup for the double header in Perth against the Melbourne Ice.
- Goaltender Jaden Pine-Murphy has been loaned to the Dunedin Thunder of the New Zealand Ice Hockey League for the weekened in their games against the Southern Stampede. The Ice are on a bye for this weekends round of the AIHL, allowing Pine-Murphy to make the trip and he is expected to return to the Ice’s lineup for the clubs remaining 2015 season games.
- Vincent Hughes will play in his 200th AIHL game today against the Perth Thunder. EliteProspects.com suggests that this mark was passed a few weeks ago with 207 games currently recorded on his profile however AIHL statistics prior to 2011 are a bit questionable. For more information on Hughes and his career see the article by Andrew McMurtry on TheAIHL.com.