– Jakob Doornbos and Nickolas Eckhardt made their first appearance on the bench for the club this season with both goaltenders serving as backup in a game each against the Melbourne Mustangs. Doornbos and Eckhardt were were called up to fill in for regular backup goaltender Alex Tetrault.
– James Downie joined the team for the first time this weekend in Sydney and Newcastle. Downie started in the Ice’s game against the Sydney Ice Dogs and backed-up for Jaden Pine-Murphy in Newcastle. Downie recently returned from the United States where he has been playing for Meijer AAA Hockey 18U
– Maksim Shneider has made his debut for the Melbourne Ice, lining up in the game against the Newcastle Northstars. The Russian born Shneider has been playing in the Victorian Premier League for the Melbourne Sharks where he currently has five points from six games.
– The Bears have signed Kayne Fedor for their 24 June game against the Adelaide Adrenaline. The signing looks to have been made to avoid falling below the minimum number of players for a game after Ryan Lough and Fredrik Rozenberg did not return to the lineup after the 23 June match. Fedor last played in the AIHL for the Adrenaline in 2016 and is currently signed with the Adelaide Tigers in the South Australian Premier League.
The Australian men’s national under-18 team have lost 0-16 to Poland in their fourth game of the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship Division II Group A tournament. Goaltender Jakob Doornbos was named best Australian player of the match. In other games of the day Great Britain defeated Lithuania 3-2 and South Korea beat Estonia 4-3. Australia remain in last place on the standings, nine points behind the leaders Poland. Australia take on Lithuania today in their final game of the tournament. The last time these two teams met was at the 2007 World Championship Division II Group B tournament where Australia lost 2-8.
– The Brave have announced the signing of Canadian goaltender Matt Hewitt for the upcoming 2018 season. Hewitt has spent the last five seasons playing for the University of British Columbia in the U Sports system. Hewitt finished the 2017-18 regular season with a 0.920 save percentage from 20 games. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Brave have also made two further goaltender changes. The club announced the signing of Jakob Doornbos as their reserve goaltender and dropped last seasons starting goaltender Aleksi Toivonen from the roster. Doornbos has spent the 2017-18 season playing for the Sydney Wolf Pack in the Australian Junior Ice Hockey League where he recorded a save percentage of 0.917 from eight games. Toivonen has been playing for Paimion Haka in 2. Divisioona.