The Australian men’s national team have beat China 3-1 in their third game of the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division II Group A tournament. Defenceman Rob Haselhurst scored a goal and an assist and was named best Australian player of the game. In other games of the day Belgium defeated Iceland 6-3 and the Netherlands beat Serbia 5-0. Australia remains second in the standings while the Netherlands lead with the best goal difference. The teams have a rest day today and return on Saturday where Australia take on Serbia for their fourth game of the tournament. The last time these two teams met was at the 2017 World Championship Division II Group A tournament where Australia won 4-3 in overtime.
– The Northstars have confirmed the signing of Rob Haselhurst for the upcoming 2018 season. Haselhurst has spent the last five seasons playing for the Perth Thunder where he has recorded 81 points in 120 games. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Kodiak Group have joined the Mustangs as their new naming rights sponsor for the next two seasons. The Kodiak Group replaces The James Hotel who held the naming rights in 2017. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Northstars have signed defenceman Rob Haselhurst for the upcoming 2018 season. Haselhurst has spent the last five seasons playing for the Perth Thunder where he has recorded 81 points in 120 games.
The Southern Suns have won the 2016 Ultimate Ice Hockey Championship (UIHC) two games to one and claim their first tournament title. The Suns lost the opening game of the tournament continuing the Northern Stars unbeaten streak from 2015 where they won all three games and claimed the inaugural UIHC Cup. The Suns however bounced back winning Game 2 at the Perth Ice Arena before claiming the series in Game 3 at the Cockburn Ice Arena. The Suns defenceman Jamie Woodman was named the tournaments most valuable player.
For more information on the tournament see the website.
– Game 1: Northern Stars 4 – 2 Southern Suns (15 October 2016, Cockburn Ice Arena). Game Recap. MVP: Jonathon Bremner
– Game 2: Northern Stars 2 – 3 Southern Suns (22 October 2016, Perth Ice Arena). Game Recap. MVP: Rob Haselhurst
– Game 3: Northern Stars 2 – 6 Southern Suns (29 October 2016, Cockburn Ice Arena). Game Recap. MVP: Andrew Cox