Some further details on the 2017-18 season have been announced. All six teams from last season will return after the Sydney Sabres and Sydney Wolf Pack were confirmed. The competition will remain split into two conferences, Brisbane/Sydney and Adelaide/Melbourne/Perth. Each team will compete in a home and away round against the teams within their conference. Each round is expected to consist of three games. Still to be confirmed are the dates of Glaciers and Generals round in Melbourne, the venue for the Sydney rounds and which Sydney team the Blitz will face in each round. The finals weekend will see a final round of the regular season with teams competing in three games against the teams from the opposing conference. Assuming the same format as last season the top four will then proceed to the playoffs.
– Adelaide Generals v Melbourne Glaciers. 21-22 October, Adelaide Ice Arena
– Perth Sharks v Melbourne Glaciers. 9-10 December, Cockburn Ice Arena
– A Sydney team v Brisbane Blitz. 9-10 December, venue not confirmed
– A Sydney team v Brisbane Blitz. 16-17 December, venue not confirmed
– Perth Sharks v Adelaide Generals. 10-11 February, Cockburn Ice Arena and Xtreme Ice Arena
– Melbourne Glaciers v Perth Sharks. 18-19 February, O’Brien Group Arena
– Brisbane Blitz v A Sydney team. 24-25 February, Iceworld Boondall
– Adelaide Generals v Perth Sharks. 3-4 March, Adelaide Ice Arena
– Brisbane Blitz v A Sydney team. 10-11 March, Iceworld Boondall
– Finals: 15-18 March, O’Brien Group Arena
– The Blitz have named Ben Spillane as their assistant coach and Marcelle Tripp as manager and medic for the upcoming 2017-18 season. Spillane and Tripp join Sebastien Gobeil on the team staff after Gobeil was named head coach last week.
– Ice Hockey WA have named their team staff for the upcoming 2017-18 AJIHL season. Dave Ruck has been named as head coach with Alastair Punler as his assistant. Gill McLean has been named team manager.
– The team will hold one tryout session before naming their roster. This will be held on 13 November at the Perth Ice Arena.
– Cockburn Ice Arena will serve as the venue for the first Perth tournament of the season. The tournament will run on 9 and 10 December with the Sharks competing against the Adelaide Generals.
The details of the first three games of the 2017-18 Australian Junior Ice Hockey League season have been released. The games will be held on 21 and 22 October at the Adelaide Ice Arena between the Adelaide Generals and Melbourne Glaciers.
– Game 1: Melbourne Glaciers – Adelaide Generals (16:00, 21 October 2017)
– Game 2: Melbourne Glaciers – Adelaide Generals (09:00, 22 October 2017)
– Game 3: Melbourne Glaciers – Adelaide Generals (15:00, 22 October 2017)
– The Generals will hold their final training camp on 12 October ahead of the start of the 2017-18 season. Following the training the club will announce the team roster. The Generals kick of their 2017-18 season against the Melbourne Glaciers in a three game series at the Adelaide Ice Arena.
The start of the 2017-18 season is getting closer however the AJIHL have yet to announce the full season schedule and the participating teams. Here is what we know so far:
– The Adelaide Generals have held a training camps on 22 September, 29 September and 5 October.
– The Brisbane Blitz will be holding training camps on 25 October and 1 November.
– The Melbourne Glaciers are expected to return for the 2017-18 season.
– The Perth Sharks will again represent Western Australia in the league. Ice Hockey WA have also mentioned they may reform the Perth Pelicans as an exhibition team which will play games against the Sharks between AJIHL tournaments.
– Currently no confirmation on the Sydney teams however Brisbane have two Sydney tournaments scheduled for December.
– Adelaide tournament: 21-22 October. Venue: Adelaide Ice Arena. Known participants: Adelaide Generals, Melbourne Glaciers
– Perth tournament: 9-10 December. Venue: Unknown. Known participants: Adelaide Generals, Perth Sharks
– Sydney tournament #1: 9-10 December. Venue: Unknown. Known participants: Brisbane Blitz
– Sydney tournament #2: 16-17 December. Venue: Unknown. Known participants: Brisbane Blitz
– Brisbane tournament #1: 24-25 February. Venue: Iceworld Boondall. Known participants: Brisbane Blitz
– Brisbane tournament #2: 10-11 March. Venue: Iceworld Boondall. Known participants: Brisbane Blitz
– Finals: 15-18 March. Venue: O’Brien Group Arena
In other news Sebastian Gobeil has been announced as the head coach for the Brisbane Blitz for the upcoming season. Gobeil was the teams assistant coach last season and replaces Darryl Dunsford in the head coach role. The Blitz are expected to announce the rest of the management team in the coming weeks.
Ice Hockey WA have announced that they are looking to revive the Perth Pelicans as an exhibition team for the upcoming 2017-18 season. The Pelicans played in the AJIHL from 2013 to 2016 before being folded due to a change in league structure. If Ice Hockey WA can attract enough players the Pelicans will play games solely against the Perth Sharks, with games being played between AJIHL tournaments. The Perth Sharks will continue to compete in the AJIHL as Western Australia’s sole team. For more information see the announcement from Ice Hockey WA.