– The Mustangs have announced the signing of defenceman Troy Robertson for the remainder of the season. Robertson last played for the Mustangs in 2014 and competed in a total of 62 games for the club from 2011 and 2014. For more information see the announcement from the club.
Team USA and the Melbourne Mustangs have defeated Team Canada and the Melbourne Ice 8-5 last night at the O’Brien Group Arena. The match, known as the 2017 Ice Hockey Night in Melbourne, saw the Melbourne Mustangs team up with Team USA and the Melbourne Ice join Team Canada for a 4 on 4 exhibition game as part of the 2017 Ice Hockey Classic series. The series will hold its final game on 24 June at Hisense Arena in Melbourne.
– The Adrenaline have announced the signing of James Keane for the remainder of the 2017 season. Keane last played for the club during the 2014 season and has played in a total of 212 games in the AIHL for both the Adrenaline and the Avalanche. He is expected to be in the lineup for this weekends games against the Melbourne Mustangs. For more information see the article from the club
– The Ice have announced that they have released Mitchell Humphries from his contract. Humphries first joined the Ice in 2012 and has recorded total of 76 points in his 103 games for the club. For more information see the post from the club
– ‘Life. Be In It’ and Kidney Health Australia have joined the club as sponsors. ‘Life. Be In It’ have signed on as the Ice’s naming rights sponsor while Kidney Health Australia will serve as the club’s charity partner and volunteer sponsor.
– The Mustangs announced the signing of Mitchell Humphries following his release from the Ice.
– The league have made two changes to the June fixture in order to avoid a conflict with the 2017 Ice Hockey Classic. The match between the Sydney Ice Dogs and Newcastle Northstars, originally set for 17 June, has been moved to 16 June. The following weekend the match between the Melbourne Ice and Melbourne Mustangs has been moved from 24 June to 25 June. Fore more information see the schedule on the league website.
– The Mustangs have announced the signing of American goaltender James Kruger for the remainder of the 2017 season. Kruger spent the 2016-17 season playing in the Southern Professional Hockey League, lining up for the Fayetteville FireAntz, Pensacola Ice Flyers and Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs. Kruger comes into the team as a replacement for Fraser Carson who is still out due to injury. For more information see the club announcement.
Melbourne Ice & Melbourne Mustangs
– The Ice and Mustangs will compete in a Showcase Charity Event alongside Team Canada and Team USA as part of the 2017 Ice Hockey Classic. The Showcase Event, known as the 2017 Ice Hockey Night in Melbourne, will take place on 22 June 2017 at the O’Brien Group Arena. The Ice will play alongside Team Canada and the Mustangs alongside Team USA in a 4 on 4 exhibition game. For more details see the Melbourne Ice announcement.
– The Mustangs added goaltender Damian Holland to their roster for yesterdays game against the Sydney Bears. Holland is the current goaltending coach for the Mustangs and is a previous member of the Australian national team, playing at six World Championships from 1986 to 1995. His addition to the roster comes after two large losses for the Mustangs on the previous weekend and continued injury of Fraser Carson.
– The Adrenaline have defeated the Ice Hockey South Australia All Star team 9-1 in their exhibition match at the Adelaide Ice Arena. The match was held as part of the Hockey Day in Adelaide event which also featured a live stream of an NHL match, public skating with the Adrenaline and Adelaide Rush players and a Come ‘N’ Try Hockey session.
The Melbourne Ice have defeated the Melbourne Mustangs 8-1 in yesterdays exhibition match at the O’Brien Group Arena. It is the second year in a row that the Ice have won the exhibition game having defeated the Mustangs 5-1 in 2016.