– A few days late reporting this but the Ice announced two of their player awards on 8 September. Declan Bronte won the 2018 best new talent award and Tommy Powell was named player of the year for the 2018 season.
– The Mustangs held their annual Players v Sponsors match today at the O’Brien Group Arena with the Sponsors winning 14-11.
– Starting goaltender Petri Pitkänen has left the club and is returning to Finland due to visa requirements. The Mustangs have announced they are looking into options to get him back to the club and are expected to provide an update shortly. Backup Aleksi Toivonen is likely to fill the starting position in the mean time.
– The Mustangs have released a picture of their Pride Game jerseys which will be worn during their 7 July match against the CBR Brave. For the picture of the jerseys and details on auction see the post on the club’s Facebook page.
– The Mustangs have released a picture of their Canada Day jersey which will be worn during their game against the Sydney Bears on 1 July. For a picture of the jersey see the post on the club’s Facebook page.
– Goaltender Jaden Pine-Murphy has left the club after six seasons. Pine-Murphy played backup to Michael James during the first few rounds of the 2018 season and received only 20 minutes in the Ice’s season opener against the Adelaide Adrenaline. Michael Breedveld replaces Pine-Murphy as the backup goaltender while the Ice wait for James Downie to arrive from the United States.
The Melbourne Ice have won the 2018 Hockey Festival’s Warrior Cup, defeating the Melbourne Mustangs 3-2 in the final. The Hockey Festival was hosted at the O’Brien Group Arena by the Melbourne Ice with a round-robin on day one and the playoffs on day two. The top two teams of the round-robin advanced to the final while the bottom two played off for third. The Mustangs finished on top of the standings at the end of day one but fell to the Ice in the final. The Adelaide Adrenaline defeated the CBR Brave in their playoff to pick up third place.
– Melbourne Ice 1-2 Melbourne Mustangs (12:00, 14 April 2018)
– CBR Brave 0-3 Melbourne Ice (13:00, 14 April 2018)
– Adelaide Adrenaline 3-1 CBR Brave (14:00, 14 April 2018)
– Melbourne Mustangs 3-4 SO Adelaide Adrenaline (15:00, 14 April 2018)
– Melbourne Mustangs 3-1 CBR Brave (16:00, 14 April 2018)
– Melbourne Ice 6-2 Adelaide Adrenaline (17:00, 14 April 2018)
– Third place: CBR Brave 2-4 Adelaide Adrenaline (13:00, 15 April 2018)
– Final: Melbourne Ice 3-2 Melbourne Mustangs (14:30, 15 April 2018)
The Melbourne Ice have defeated the Melbourne Mustangs 3-2 in an exhibition match at the O’Brien Group Arena. It is the third year in a row that the Ice have won the annual exhibition game having defeated the Mustangs 8-1 in 2017 and 5-1 in 2016.