– The Northstars have added Canadian forward Kale Kerbashian to their roster in an effort to increase the teams scoring rate. Kerbashian spent the 2016-17 season playing for the Allen Americans and Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL where he recorded 23 points in 35 games. For more information see the article from the Newcastle Herald.
– The league have made two changes to the June fixture in order to avoid a conflict with the 2017 Ice Hockey Classic. The match between the Sydney Ice Dogs and Newcastle Northstars, originally set for 17 June, has been moved to 16 June. The following weekend the match between the Melbourne Ice and Melbourne Mustangs has been moved from 24 June to 25 June. Fore more information see the schedule on the league website.
– The Mustangs have announced the signing of American goaltender James Kruger for the remainder of the 2017 season. Kruger spent the 2016-17 season playing in the Southern Professional Hockey League, lining up for the Fayetteville FireAntz, Pensacola Ice Flyers and Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs. Kruger comes into the team as a replacement for Fraser Carson who is still out due to injury. For more information see the club announcement.
Melbourne Ice & Melbourne Mustangs
– The Ice and Mustangs will compete in a Showcase Charity Event alongside Team Canada and Team USA as part of the 2017 Ice Hockey Classic. The Showcase Event, known as the 2017 Ice Hockey Night in Melbourne, will take place on 22 June 2017 at the O’Brien Group Arena. The Ice will play alongside Team Canada and the Mustangs alongside Team USA in a 4 on 4 exhibition game. For more details see the Melbourne Ice announcement.
– The Adrenaline have re-signed English forward Jamie Holland for the upcoming season. Holland joined the Adrenaline last season and recorded two points in eight games. For more information on Holland and the other imports see the article from the club.
Sydney Ice Dogs
– The Ice Dogs have announced the re-signing of Canadian forward Strat Allen for the 2017 season. Allen first joined the club in 2015 and over his two seasons has recorded a total of 55 points in 39 games. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– Newcastle has changed their name from the Newcastle North Stars to the Newcastle Northstars, dropping the space as part of a minor re-branding. The change aligns the club with the New South Wales registered club, the Newcastle Northstars Ice Hockey Club, and returns them to their original identity that they played under in the 1980s. At this time however the East Coast Super League club of the same name is still playing as the ‘North Stars’. For more information see the announcement from the club.
The Sydney Bears have announced that it unlikely that the Wilson Cup tournament will be held in 2017 citing a high workload in relation to their move to the Macquarie Ice Rink. The Wilson Cup was founded in 2007 as a pre-season tournament for the New South Wales based AIHL clubs. The tournament has been held on six occasions, from 2007 to 2009 and 2014 to 2016. The Bears won the 2016 edition, defeating the Sydney Ice Dogs 3-1 in the final.
The Newcastle North Stars have revealed their new jerseys for the upcoming 2017 season. They will also introduce a red third jersey design featuring a alternative logo. See their Facebook page for images.