– New staff: Peter Ekroth. Takes on the position of head coach replacing Charles Franzén who was in the position during the 2017 season. More information.
– Staff changes: Charles Franzén. Moves from the head coach position to Director of Coaching and Player Development. More information.
– Staff changes: Garry Doré, Ray Sheffield, Joey Theriault will share the coaching duties after the parting ways with former head coach Andrew Petrie in October 2017. Doré remains as the general manager and previously coached from 2012 to 2014. Sheffield and Theriault have been an assistant coaches for the past two seasons. More information.
– New signing: Michael Burns. Position: Forward. More information.
– New signing: Chad Smith. Position: Forward. 2017-18: Fife Flyers (EIHL) – 50 games, 1 point, Kirkcaldy Kestrels (SNL) – 8 games, 14 points. More information.
Sydney Ice Dogs
– New signing: Curtis Skip. Position: Goaltender. 2017-18: University of Alberta-Augustana (CCAA). More information.
– New sponsor: The Ranch Hotel. Official post game venue for 2018. Replaces TGI Fridays Macquarie Centre which was the clubs venue in 2017. More information.
The Newcastle Northstars have announced their roster for the 2018 season.
#3 Mathew Lindsay (A)
#5 John Kennedy
#8 Hamish Powell
#11 Tim Stanger
#12 Joseph Harcharik (I)
#14 Robert Haselhurst
#16 Jayson Chalker
#20 Robert Malloy (C)
#22 Sam Lawson (I)
#23 Matthew Wetini (A)
#24 Tomas Landa (I)
#25 David Ferrari
#26 Zane Jones
#27 Liam Manwarring
#43 Patrick Ward
#44 Nick Rivait (I)
#55 Richard Tesarik
#58 Hayden Sheard
#71 Shane Southwood
#91 Patrick Nadin
– The Adrenaline have announced the re-signing of Steve Best and the signing of Quenton Tombleson and Tyler Leeming for the 2018 season. Best will return for his sixth season with the club, having so far recorded 15 points in 78 games. Tombleson spent the 2017 season playing for the Adelaide Falcons in the South Australian Premier League where he recorded 15 points in 17 games. Leeming also spent his 2017 season playing in the Premier League where he recorded 62 points from 14 games for the Adelaide Red Wings. For more information see the announcement from the club
The Brave have announced the signing of forward Hayden Dawes for the upcoming season. Dawes has spent the 2017-18 season playing for Lindenwood University in the American Collegiate Hockey Association system where he currently has 16 points from 24 games. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– Tempur Australia and the Ice have reached an agreement which will see Tempur be the clubs naming rights sponsor for the next three seasons. Captain Lliam Webster has been appointed as the teams brand ambassador. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Bears have signed Canadian defenceman Graeme Strukoff for the 2018 season. Strukoff has spent the 2017-18 season playing for HC 07 Detva in the Tipsport Liga and prior to that spent two seasons in the Southern Professional Hockey League. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Adrenaline have announced that Sami Mantere has stepped down from the position of head coach in order to return as a player for the club. Mantere joined the Adrelaine in 2009 and has recorded 52 points from 47 games. He will also remain on as an assistant coach.
– Jim Fuyarchuk will replace Mantere in the head coach position. Fuyarchuk has previously coached in Canada, Hungary and Australia at levels including university and junior hockey.
– For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Northstars have announced the signing of Canadian forward Sam Lawson for the 2018 season. Lawson has spent his 2017-18 season playing for the Innisfail Eagles of the Allan Cup Hockey West league where he currently has 13 points from 20 games. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Ice have announced the signing of Swedish forward Filip Petersson for the upcoming season. Petersson is currently the captain of Tranås AIF, a team in the Swedish Hockeyettan. During the 2017-18 season he has recorded 34 points in 41 games.
– The Mustangs have signed Finnish goaltender Petri Pitkänen for the 2018 season. Pitkänen last played in the AIHL during 2014 for the CBR Brave where he completed the regular season with a 0.906 save percentage. During his time away from the AIHL Pitkänen has spent three seasons with KeuPa HT of the Mestis, the most recent being the 2016-17 season. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Northstars have signed three Sydney Bears players for the 2018 season, forwards Tomas Landa and Richard Tesarik and defenceman Patrick Ward. Landa has played six seasons in the AIHL and has recorded 234 points in 134, all for the Sydney Bears. Tesarik will be playing in his seventh AIHL season, having previously played three seasons for both the Ice Dogs and Bears. He currently has 72 points from 111 games. Ward’s 2018 season will be his sixth having previously played two with the Ice Dogs and three for the Bears. He currently has 56 points from 131 games. For more information see the announcement from the club
– Forward Joe Harcharik has re-signed with the Northstars for the upcoming 2018 season. During the off-season Harcharik has been playin for HC Neumarkt-Egna in the Alps Hockey League where he currently has 21 points from 23 games. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Bears have announced the re-signing of defenceman Ryan Annesley for the 2018 season. Annesley played in only eleven games last season before an injury forced him off the ice and onto the coaches bench as an assistant. He first joined the Bears in 2016 and has recorded 21 points from 30 games.
– The Kodiak Group have joined the Mustangs as their new naming rights sponsor for the next two seasons. The Kodiak Group replaces The James Hotel who held the naming rights in 2017. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Northstars have signed defenceman Rob Haselhurst for the upcoming 2018 season. Haselhurst has spent the last five seasons playing for the Perth Thunder where he has recorded 81 points in 120 games.