The Sydney Bears have unveiled their new logo for the upcoming 2018 season.
The Sydney Bears have retained the Wilson Cup following their 5-3 defeat of the Sydney Ice Dogs on 4 August. The Wilson Cup is usually awarded to the winner of a pre-season tournament held between the three New South Wales based AIHL clubs. This year however the normal pre-season tournament was cancelled due to the number of players competing overseas and the relocation of the Bears and Ice Dogs to the Macquarie Ice Rink. As a result the Wilson Cup was re-purposed to be awarded to the winner of the four game regular season series between the Bears and Ice Dogs, leaving out the Northstars.
The series finished with two wins for each team and both with an equal goal difference of zero. The Wilson Cup was therefor retained by the Bears, having won the 2016 cup.
– Sydney Ice Dogs 1-0 Sydney Bears (22 April 2017)
– Sydney Bears 0-3 Sydney Ice Dogs (10 June 2017)
– Sydney Ice Dogs 2-4 Sydney Bears (15 July 2017)
– Sydney Bears 5-3 Sydney Ice Dogs (4 August 2017)
Sydney Bears & Melbourne Ice
– The match between the Sydney Bears and Melbourne Ice that was originally cancelled due to a fire at the Macquarie Ice Rink has been rescheduled. The game will be held on 16 July 2017 at the Macquarie Ice Rink with the puck dropping at 14:30.
– The Ice added forward Ethan Cornford to their roster in yesterdays game against the Melbourne Mustangs. Cornford has spent the last two seasons playing in the Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League, most recently for the New Tecumseth Civics where he recorded 23 points in 41 games. Cornford last played in the AIHL for the Melbourne Mustangs during the 2015 season.
– The Bears signed goaltender Justin Harrison as a backup in yesterdays game against the Adelaide Adrenaline. The Bears have now dressed four different backup goaltenders this season however none have yet to play with starting goaltender Anthony Kimlin playing all of the teams minutes.
– The Bears have announced that forward Ryan Annesley has moved into an assistant coach position following a shoulder injury. Annesley returned for a second season with the Bears however managed only one game before being forced off the ice. For more information see the article by Ryan Darnley.
– The Adrenaline have announced their captains for the 2017 season. David Huxley has been named captain with Sean Greer, Cameron Critchlow and Darren Corstens as the three alternate captains.
– The Bears have announced that The Ranch Hotel will act as their official venue sponsor for the 2017 season.
Sydney Ice Dogs
– TGI Fridays have joined the Ice Dogs as a sponsor and their Macquarie Centre restaurant will serve as the club’s post game venue. TGI Fridays have previously sponsored the Sydney Bears and the league during the 2015 season. For more information see the announcement from the club.
The Sydney Bears have announced their roster for the upcoming 2017 season. New additions to the team are Slavo Boris, Jackson Brewer, Jeremy Brucker, Robert Covino, Tyler Noseworthy, Nick Rivait and Vladimir Rubes
While players dropped from the team are Steven Adams, Spencer Austin, Dylan Burgess, Billy Cliff, Alex Henderson, Geoff Irwin, Nic Kawasaki, Ian Merwin, Luke Read, Joel Rhodes, Gabriel Robledo, Cam Smith, Lee Turner, Luke Zvonicek
#4 Cameron Todd (A)
#11 Michael Schlamp (C)
#13 Lachlan McKenzie
#14 Robert Covino
#15 Jeremy Vazquez
#19 Saxon Air
#20 Vladimir Rubes
#24 Tomas Landa (I)
#37 Brent Vandenberg (I)
#49 Jackson Brewer (I)
#55 Richard Tesarik
#73 Tyler Noseworthy (I)
#84 Adrian Esposito
#91 Jeremy Brucker
– The Adrenaline have signed Canadian defencemance Morgan McNeill as their fifth import for the 2017 season. McNeill has spent the 2016-17 season playing for Bouctouche JCs of the North East Senior Hockey League where he recorded 11 points in 27 games. McNeill had original signed with the Adelaide Red Wings to play in the South Australian Premier League however he has been picked up by the Adrenaline while they wait for their goaltender Tyler Steel to finish his season in the Southern Professional Hockey League. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– The Bears have announced the signing of Canadian defenceman Nick Rivait for the 2017 season. Rivait has spent the 2016-17 season playing for the Fayetteville FireAntz of the Southern Professional Hockey League were he recorded 21 points in 50 games. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– The Brave have announced new and returning sponsors for the 2017 season. Returning sponsors include allinsure, Coordinate, McDonald’s ACT, and Anytime Fitness who has increased their support to be a major sponsor. The clubs new sponsor is the Tuggeranong Hyperdome who comes on as a major sponsor for 2017. The ACT Government and Active Canberra will also continue their support of the National League Team Program.
– Jamie Woodman will take over the captaincy for the 2017 season. Woodman replaces Sam Wilson in the position who has held it since the club joined the league in 2012. Andrew Cox will return as one of the clubs alternate captains, while Per Daniel Goransson replaces Jordan Kyros as the second alternate captain. For more information see the announcement from club.
– The Northstars have announced the signing of Canadian forward Steven Kuhn for the 2017 season. Kuhn has spent the 2016-17 season playing for Bisons de Neuilly-sur-Marne of the French Division 1 where he has recorded 20 points in 24 games. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– The Bears have announced the signing of Canadian forward Tyler Noseworthy for the 2017 season. Noseworthy has spent the 2016-17 season playing in the Federal Hockey League, Southern Professional Hockey League, and the North East Senior Hockey League. For more information see the announcement from the club.