Sydney Bears & Melbourne Ice
– The match between the Sydney Bears and Melbourne Ice that was originally cancelled due to a fire at the Macquarie Ice Rink has been rescheduled. The game will be held on 16 July 2017 at the Macquarie Ice Rink with the puck dropping at 14:30.
– The Ice added forward Ethan Cornford to their roster in yesterdays game against the Melbourne Mustangs. Cornford has spent the last two seasons playing in the Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League, most recently for the New Tecumseth Civics where he recorded 23 points in 41 games. Cornford last played in the AIHL for the Melbourne Mustangs during the 2015 season.
– The Bears signed goaltender Justin Harrison as a backup in yesterdays game against the Adelaide Adrenaline. The Bears have now dressed four different backup goaltenders this season however none have yet to play with starting goaltender Anthony Kimlin playing all of the teams minutes.
– The Bears have announced that forward Ryan Annesley has moved into an assistant coach position following a shoulder injury. Annesley returned for a second season with the Bears however managed only one game before being forced off the ice. For more information see the article by Ryan Darnley.
– The Bears have announced that The Ranch Hotel will act as their official venue sponsor for the 2017 season.
Sydney Ice Dogs
– TGI Fridays have joined the Ice Dogs as a sponsor and their Macquarie Centre restaurant will serve as the club’s post game venue. TGI Fridays have previously sponsored the Sydney Bears and the league during the 2015 season. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– The Adrenaline have announced the signing of Zachary Boyle for the 2017 season. Boyle spent the 2016 season playing for the CBR Brave where he recorded nine points in 29 games. Boyle previously played for the Adrenaline in the 2014 and 2015 seasons. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– The Thunder have announced a partnership with MyLeadPod, an automated business reward program.
Sydney Ice Dogs
– The Ice Dogs have announced the signing of forward Billy Cliff for the 2017 season. Cliff spent the 2016 season playing for the Sydney Bears where he recorded 13 points in 24 games. Cliff previously played for the Ice Dogs from 2008 to 2014 and took a year out from hockey in the 2015 season. For more information see the announcement from the club.
The Sydney Bears have announced that it unlikely that the Wilson Cup tournament will be held in 2017 citing a high workload in relation to their move to the Macquarie Ice Rink. The Wilson Cup was founded in 2007 as a pre-season tournament for the New South Wales based AIHL clubs. The tournament has been held on six occasions, from 2007 to 2009 and 2014 to 2016. The Bears won the 2016 edition, defeating the Sydney Ice Dogs 3-1 in the final.