The Sydney Bears have retained the Wilson Cup following their 5-3 defeat of the Sydney Ice Dogs on 4 August. The Wilson Cup is usually awarded to the winner of a pre-season tournament held between the three New South Wales based AIHL clubs. This year however the normal pre-season tournament was cancelled due to the number of players competing overseas and the relocation of the Bears and Ice Dogs to the Macquarie Ice Rink. As a result the Wilson Cup was re-purposed to be awarded to the winner of the four game regular season series between the Bears and Ice Dogs, leaving out the Northstars.
The series finished with two wins for each team and both with an equal goal difference of zero. The Wilson Cup was therefor retained by the Bears, having won the 2016 cup.
– Sydney Ice Dogs 1-0 Sydney Bears (22 April 2017)
– Sydney Bears 0-3 Sydney Ice Dogs (10 June 2017)
– Sydney Ice Dogs 2-4 Sydney Bears (15 July 2017)
– Sydney Bears 5-3 Sydney Ice Dogs (4 August 2017)
Sydney Bears & Melbourne Ice
– The match between the Sydney Bears and Melbourne Ice that was originally cancelled due to a fire at the Macquarie Ice Rink has been rescheduled. The game will be held on 16 July 2017 at the Macquarie Ice Rink with the puck dropping at 14:30.
– The Ice added forward Ethan Cornford to their roster in yesterdays game against the Melbourne Mustangs. Cornford has spent the last two seasons playing in the Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League, most recently for the New Tecumseth Civics where he recorded 23 points in 41 games. Cornford last played in the AIHL for the Melbourne Mustangs during the 2015 season.
– The Bears signed goaltender Justin Harrison as a backup in yesterdays game against the Adelaide Adrenaline. The Bears have now dressed four different backup goaltenders this season however none have yet to play with starting goaltender Anthony Kimlin playing all of the teams minutes.
– The Bears have announced that forward Ryan Annesley has moved into an assistant coach position following a shoulder injury. Annesley returned for a second season with the Bears however managed only one game before being forced off the ice. For more information see the article by Ryan Darnley.
– The Bears have announced that The Ranch Hotel will act as their official venue sponsor for the 2017 season.
Sydney Ice Dogs
– TGI Fridays have joined the Ice Dogs as a sponsor and their Macquarie Centre restaurant will serve as the club’s post game venue. TGI Fridays have previously sponsored the Sydney Bears and the league during the 2015 season. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– The Adrenaline have announced the signing of Zachary Boyle for the 2017 season. Boyle spent the 2016 season playing for the CBR Brave where he recorded nine points in 29 games. Boyle previously played for the Adrenaline in the 2014 and 2015 seasons. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– The Thunder have announced a partnership with MyLeadPod, an automated business reward program.