The AIHL have announced the winners of the 2016 Awards which were voted on by team representatives and officials. For more information see the article on TheAIHL.com
– Kendall Trophy (Most Valuable Player): Wehebe Darge (Adelaide Adrenaline)
– Goaltender of the Year: Anthony Kimlin (Sydney Bears)
– Defenceman of the Year: Jan Safar (CBR Brave)
– Rookie of the Year: Casey Kubara (CBR Brave)
– Local Player of the Year: Casey Kubara (CBR Brave)
– Coach of the Year: Brent Laver (Melbourne Ice)
– Kennedy Trophy (Playoffs Most Valuable Player): Dayne Davis (Newcastle North Stars)
– The Brave have announced the signing of defenceman Jan Safar for the remainder of the 2016 season. Safar spent the 2015 season playing for the Newcastle North Stars where he recorded 57 points in 30 games.
The 2015 AIHL Playoffs have finished with the Newcastle North Stars defeating the Melbourne Ice 3-2 in overtime. The win gives the North Stars their fifth Goodall Cup and first since 2008. The North Stars progressed to the finals after defeating the CBR Brave 4-3 in the semifinal, while the Ice defeated the Perth Thunder 1-0 in their semifinal. For the third year running the finals were sponsored by Air Canada.
The four new imports join American John Kennedy who will start his third season with the North Stars and is expecting to gain an Australian permanent residency in the coming months. Davis, like Kennedy is also working towards his permanent residency.