The Australian men’s national team have beat Iceland 3-0 in their opening game of the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division II Group A tournament. Defenceman Per Daniel Göransson scored the opening goal and was named best Australian player of the game. In other games of the day Serbia defeated Belgium 4-1 and the Netherlands beat China 7-0. At the end of day one Australia sit third in the standings while the Netherlands lead with the best goal difference. Australia take on Belgium today for their second game of the tournament. The last time these two teams met was at the 2017 World Championship Division II Group A tournament where Australia won 3-0.
– The Brave have announced the signing of defenceman Per Daniel Göransson for the upcoming 2018 season. Göransson has spent the last two seasons playing for the Perth Thunder where he recorded 34 points in 47 games. For more information see the announcement from the club.
2016 All-Star Weekend
– The AIHL have released the preliminary rosters for the upcoming 2016 AIHL All-Star Weekend. The event is scheduled to take place at the Penrith Ice Palace on 11 June and 12 June with the two teams captained by Michael Schlamp and Matt Armstrong. For more information including the list of players see the announcement from the league.
Newcastle North Stars
– The North Stars have announced that defender David Ferrari has signed with Dunedin Thunder of the New Zealand Ice Hockey League for the 2016 season. Ferrari will continue with the North Stars until the end of May before departing for the start of the New Zealand season in June. He is however expected to return to the North Stars lineup for the 2017 AIHL season. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– The Thunder have announced that captain Sam Wilson is expected to miss six weeks after suffering a break in his arm in last weekends double header against the CBR Brave. Andrew Cox will take over the captaincy in his absence while Anthony Nottle will fill his place in the lineup. The injury will mean that Wilson will miss his first AIHL game since the Thunder joined the league in 2012. For more information see the club announcement.
– Fellow defender Per Daniel Goransson has also been placed on the injury list due to a slight muscle tear. He is expected to return to the lineup for the double header in Perth against the Melbourne Ice.
The Perth Thunder have announced the signing of defender Per Daniel Göransson for the upcoming 2016 season. Göransson, who is a Swedish national, recently acquired his Australian permanent residency allowing him to join the team as a local. Göransson spent last season playing for the Northern Vikings in the Western Australian Super League and has previously played for Hammarby IF and Team Uppsala in the Allsvenskan.