– The Mustangs have released a picture of their Canada Day jersey which will be worn during their game against the Sydney Bears on 1 July. For a picture of the jersey see the post on the club’s Facebook page.
– Goaltender Jaden Pine-Murphy has left the club after six seasons. Pine-Murphy played backup to Michael James during the first few rounds of the 2018 season and received only 20 minutes in the Ice’s season opener against the Adelaide Adrenaline. Michael Breedveld replaces Pine-Murphy as the backup goaltender while the Ice wait for James Downie to arrive from the United States.
The Melbourne Ice have won the 2018 Hockey Festival’s Warrior Cup, defeating the Melbourne Mustangs 3-2 in the final. The Hockey Festival was hosted at the O’Brien Group Arena by the Melbourne Ice with a round-robin on day one and the playoffs on day two. The top two teams of the round-robin advanced to the final while the bottom two played off for third. The Mustangs finished on top of the standings at the end of day one but fell to the Ice in the final. The Adelaide Adrenaline defeated the CBR Brave in their playoff to pick up third place.
– Melbourne Ice 1-2 Melbourne Mustangs (12:00, 14 April 2018)
– CBR Brave 0-3 Melbourne Ice (13:00, 14 April 2018)
– Adelaide Adrenaline 3-1 CBR Brave (14:00, 14 April 2018)
– Melbourne Mustangs 3-4 SO Adelaide Adrenaline (15:00, 14 April 2018)
– Melbourne Mustangs 3-1 CBR Brave (16:00, 14 April 2018)
– Melbourne Ice 6-2 Adelaide Adrenaline (17:00, 14 April 2018)
– Third place: CBR Brave 2-4 Adelaide Adrenaline (13:00, 15 April 2018)
– Final: Melbourne Ice 3-2 Melbourne Mustangs (14:30, 15 April 2018)
The Melbourne Ice have defeated the Melbourne Mustangs 3-2 in an exhibition match at the O’Brien Group Arena. It is the third year in a row that the Ice have won the annual exhibition game having defeated the Mustangs 8-1 in 2017 and 5-1 in 2016.
– Josef Rezek has re-signed with the Adrenaline for the 2018 season. Rezek will play in his eighth season with the club where he has scored 165 points in 136 games. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Mustangs have signed a deal with restaurant Billy’s District to be their post-game venue for the 2018 season. Billy’s District replaces The James Hotel who had been the clubs post-game venue since May 2016. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Bears have announced the signing of American forward Charlie Adams for the 2018 season. Adams has spent the majority of his 2017-18 season playing for the Pensacola Ice Flyers in the Southern Professional Hockey League where he currently has 45 points from 41 games. Prior to joining the Ice Flyers Adams also had a brief four game stint with EV Lindau in the Oberliga. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Bears have also announced the re-signing of captain Michael Schlamp and goaltender Anthony Kimlin. Schlamp has recorded 287 points in his 243 games with all but one season being for the Bears. Kimlin returns for his third straight season with the Bears and fifth in the AIHL, having previously played for the Gold Coast Blue Tongues and Sydney Ice Dogs.
– The schedule for the upcoming hockey festival has been released. The festival will be played at the O’Brien Group Arena and will involve the Melbourne Ice, Melbourne Mustangs, CBR Brave and Adelaide Adrenaline. For the schedule see the announcement from the Melbourne Ice.