Following the announcement of their two fan awards the Melbourne Ice have also announced their two player awards. Tommy Powell was named the best and fairest player and Taylor Luck one the best young talent award.
– A few days late reporting this but the Ice announced two of their player awards on 8 September. Declan Bronte won the 2018 best new talent award and Tommy Powell was named player of the year for the 2018 season.
– The Mustangs held their annual Players v Sponsors match today at the O’Brien Group Arena with the Sponsors winning 14-11.
– The AIHL have released the participants for the All-Star Skills Competition on 2 June at Adelaide Ice Arena. The Melbourne Mustangs’ Nikita Kolesnikovs has been added to Team Boyle, while Mitchell Humphries appears to have pulled out of the competition. The Melbourne Ice’s Matt Armstrong and Thomas Powell have also not been named in any of the Skills Competitions and it is unclear whether they have withdrawn. See theAIHL.com for the list of participants.
– The Adrenaline have continued the slow role out of their 2016 roster with the re-sigings of goaltender Peter King, forwards Darren Corstens and Josef Rezek and defenceman David Huxley
– The Ice have announced their team leadership for the 2016 season. Lliam Webster retains his captainancy along with Thomas Powell as alternate captain. While Mitchell Humpries takes on the second alternate captain role, replacing Greg Sturrock.
The Australian men’s national team have won their third game of the 2016 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division II Group B tournament, defeating Israel 11-3. Forward Thomas Powell was named best Australian player of the match. In other games of the day North Korea defeated New Zealand 7-4 and Mexico beat Bulgaria 10-1. After the end of the third round Australia remain in first place, one point clear of the second place Mexico. The teams have a rest day today and return on Thursday with Australia taking on North Korea.
For more information on the tournament see the page at IIHF.com.
- Australia 11 – 3 Israel (13:00, 12 April 2016, Ice Dome). Game Card
The Melbourne Ice have announced their captain and alternate captains for the upcoming 2014 AIHL season. Lliam Webster was named the teams captain taking over the role from Jason Baclig. Webster previously held the captaincy in 2010 and served as one of the alternate captains last season. Ross Howell who returns to play for the Ice for the first time since 2004 and Thomas Powell have been named as the teams two alternate captains. Howell has previous leadership experience during his time with the Gold Coast Blue Tongues where he was captain for the 2011 AIHL season. Powell continues in his role as one of the teams alternate captains having held in the position last season.