Round 16 of the 2016 Australian Ice Hockey League season has finished with wins for the Melbourne Ice, Melbourne Mustangs, CBR Brave and Perth Thunder. Following their two wins of the round the Melbourne Ice claim the 2016 H Newman Reid Trophy after securing first place in the standings. It is the Ice’s third regular season title having last won in 2012. Next week is the final round of the regular season with all eight teams in action across seven games.
The match between the Adelaide Adrenaline and CBR Brave on 13 August also served as the second annual beyondblue Cup. The Brave won the Cup for the second year in a row defeating the Adrenaline 5-4 following a shootout. The regular season match between the two teams has been branded to help raise awareness for the beyondblue charity. Last years edition, which was held in Canberra, was won by the Brave who defeated the Adrenaline 8-2.
For more information on the AIHL see their website.
Round 16 results:
– Melbourne Ice 4 – 1 Melbourne Mustangs (20:00, 11 August 2016, O’Brien Group Arena)
– Sydney Ice Dogs 7 – 10 Melbourne Mustangs (17:00, 13 August 2016, O’Brien Group Arena)
– CBR Brave 5 – 4 SO Adelaide Adrenaline (16:30, 13 August 2016, Adelaide Ice Arena)
– Sydney Bears 0 – 2 Perth Thunder (16:30, 13 August 2016, Perth Ice Arena)
– Sydney Ice Dogs 1 – 4 Melbourne Ice (16:00, 14 August 2016, O’Brien Group Arena)
– CBR Brave 6 – 5 Adelaide Adrenaline (16:00, 14 August 2016, Adelaide Ice Arena)
– Sydney Bears 1 – 2 Perth Thunder (16:30, 14 August 2016, Perth Ice Arena)
Standings at the end of Round 16:
|Newcastle North Stars||26||14||1||4||7||48|
|Sydney Ice Dogs||27||6||1||1||19||21|