Ice Hockey Australia have released the roster of the Australian men’s under-20 national team for the upcoming 2020 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship Division III tournament. The competition will take place from 13 to 19 January 2020 in Sofia, Bulgaria with Australia competing against Bulgaria, Chinese Taipei, Iceland, Mexico, New Zealand, South Africa and Turkey.
The Australian men’s national under-20 team have beaten Bulgaria 7-4 in their semifinal of the 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship Division III tournament. Australia now advance to the gold medal match against China who defeated Turkey 12-1 in their semifinal. In the two placement games Iceland beat New Zealand 11-1 and Chinese Taipei beat South Africa 7-1. Both teams will now advance to the 5th-6th placement match while New Zealand and South Africa will playoff for 7th place.
– Placement 5th-8th 1: Iceland 11–1 New Zealand (10:00, 19 January 2019)
– Placement 5th-8th 2: South Africa 1–7 Chinese Taipei (13:30, 19 January 2019)
– Semifinal 1: Australia 7–4 Bulgaria (17:00, 19 January 2019)
– Semifinal 2: China 12–1 Turkey (20:30, 19 January 2019)
– Placement 7th-8th: South Africa – New Zealand (10:00, 20 January 2019)
– Placement 5th-6th: Iceland – Chinese Taipei (13:30, 20 January 2019)
– Bronze: Bulgaria – Turkey (17:00, 20 January 2019)
– Gold: China – Australia (20:30, 20 January 2019)
The Australian men’s national under-20 team have lost 5-7 to Bulgaria in their fourth game of the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship Division III tournament. Defenceman Bayley Kubara was named best Australian player of the match. In other games of the day Israel defeated Iceland 6-2 and China beat New Zealand 11-2. After four rounds Australia have dropped down to fifth place in the standings, trailing the leaders Israel by seven points. The teams have a rest day today before returning on Sunday where Australia take on China. The last time these two teams met was at the 2016 Division II Group B World Championship tournament where Australia won 8-2.