– A few days late reporting this but the Ice announced two of their player awards on 8 September. Declan Bronte won the 2018 best new talent award and Tommy Powell was named player of the year for the 2018 season.
– The Mustangs held their annual Players v Sponsors match today at the O’Brien Group Arena with the Sponsors winning 14-11.
– Tyler Leeming is expected to make his debut for the club this weekend against the CBR Brave after securing his permanent residency and so allowing him to play as a local. Leeming has spent the last three seasons playing for the Adelaide Red Wings in the South Australian Premier League.
– Forward Tyrone Bronte is unlikely to lineup for the Melbourne Ice this season due to college commitments with Bemidji State University. Bronte debuted for the club in 2017 playing two games and scoring one goal.
– His brother Declan Bronte made his debut for the Ice in tonights game against the Melbourne Mustangs, picking up an assist.
– James Downie appeared in his first game for the Ice, dressing as backup to Michael James.
The Australian men’s national under-18 team have won their final game of the 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship Division II Group B tournament, defeating Serbia 4-1. Declan Bronte was named best Australian player of the match and Tyrone Bronte was named best Australian player of the tournament. In addition James Downie was named best goaltender of the tournament. In other games of the day Spain defeated the Netherlands 5-2 and Iceland beat Belgium 3-2. Australia finish the tournament in first place and are promoted to Division II Group A for 2018. It is the second promotion in a row for the team after being promoted from Division III Group A in 2016. Belgium, who finished in last place, are relegated to Division III Group A for 2018.