The Australian men’s national under-20 team have lost their opening game of the 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship Division III tournament, losing to Iceland 4-5 in overtime. Jeremy Vasquez scored two goals and was named the best Australian player of the match. In other games of the day Bulgaria beat South Africa 10-1, China beat New Zealand 12-1 and Turkey beat Chinese Taipei 4-1. After the first round Australia sit third in the Group A standings, two points off the lead. Australia take on Turkey today for their second game of the tournament. The last time these two teams met was at the 2008 Division III World Championship tournament where Australia won 5-3.
– The Brave have announced the re-signing of Jordon Brunt, Mitchell Henning, Bayley Kubara, and Alex Tétreault
– Jayden Lewis has re-signed with the Brave, having last played for the club in 2015. Lewis has spent the last two seasons playing junior hockey in Finland. In the 2017-18 season Lewis played for KaKiPo U20 and PaiHa U20 and currently has 10 points from 21 games.
– Dary Flanagan has signed with the Brave having spent last season playing for the Melbourne Ice. The 2018 season will be Flanagan’s third in the AIHL, having previously played for the Mustangs in 2016.
– For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Bears have re-signed Brian Funes and Jeremy Vasquez for the 2018 season. Funes will return for his third season with the Bears and eighth in the AIHL having previously played for the Ice Dogs from 2011 to 2015. Vasquez returns for his third season with the club. For more information see the announcement from the club
In light of the recent mentions of Ethan Cornford and Jeremy Brown we have compiled a list of Australians who have signed with a club overseas for the current 2014-15 season. The information is based of Elite Prospects website and may or may not be complete: