The Sydney Ice Dogs have signed forward Jeremy Vasquez from the Sydney Bears. Vasquez played in 59 games for the Bears from 2016 to 2019, recording eight goals and eleven assists. He is the second player to depart the Bears for the Ice Dogs mid-season after Lachlan Fahmy switched clubs in May. The announcement was made by the Newcastle Northstars ahead of their 29 June game against the Ice Dogs.
The Australian men’s national under-20 team have lost their opening game of the 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship Division III tournament, losing to Iceland 4-5 in overtime. Jeremy Vasquez scored two goals and was named the best Australian player of the match. In other games of the day Bulgaria beat South Africa 10-1, China beat New Zealand 12-1 and Turkey beat Chinese Taipei 4-1. After the first round Australia sit third in the Group A standings, two points off the lead. Australia take on Turkey today for their second game of the tournament. The last time these two teams met was at the 2008 Division III World Championship tournament where Australia won 5-3.
– Australia 4-5 OT Iceland (17:00, 14 January 2019, Laugardalur Arena)
– The Adrenaline have announced the signing of Canadian Caleb Apperson for the 2018 season. Apperson spent the first half of his 2017-18 season playing for Laurentian University in the U Sports system where he recorded 12 points in 18 games. At the end of February Apperson signed with the Birmingham Bulls of the Southern Professional Hockey League where he currently has four points from 13 games. For more information see the announcement from the club
– David Huxley, Sean Greer and Graham Charbonneau have all announced that they will not be playing for the Adrenaline in the 2018 season. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Brave have announced the re-signing of Jordon Brunt, Mitchell Henning, Bayley Kubara, and Alex Tétreault
– Jayden Lewis has re-signed with the Brave, having last played for the club in 2015. Lewis has spent the last two seasons playing junior hockey in Finland. In the 2017-18 season Lewis played for KaKiPo U20 and PaiHa U20 and currently has 10 points from 21 games.
– Dary Flanagan has signed with the Brave having spent last season playing for the Melbourne Ice. The 2018 season will be Flanagan’s third in the AIHL, having previously played for the Mustangs in 2016.
– For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Bears have re-signed Brian Funes and Jeremy Vasquez for the 2018 season. Funes will return for his third season with the Bears and eighth in the AIHL having previously played for the Ice Dogs from 2011 to 2015. Vasquez returns for his third season with the club. For more information see the announcement from the club
In light of the recent mentions of Ethan Cornford and Jeremy Brown we have compiled a list of Australians who have signed with a club overseas for the current 2014-15 season. The information is based of Elite Prospects website and may or may not be complete:
- Alistair Band – Re-signed with the Haringey Racers of the English National Ice Hockey League. Band who is a dual Britsh Australian resident last played in Australia for the Canberra Knights during the 2013 season
- Jeremy Brown – Re-signed with the Sherbrooke Cougars of the Quebec Junior Hockey League. Recently received a call-up to play for the Victoriaville Tigres of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League
- Ethan Cornford – Signed with the Iowa Wild AAA Elite U18 to play in the East Coast Elite League U18 division. Cornford has previously played for the Melbourne Mustangs and Melbourne Whalers
- James Downie – Registered at the Canadian International Hockey Academy (CIHA) where he will play for the CIHA Voyageurs Bantam AAA in the Ontario East Minor Hockey League Bantam Division
- Kenshin Hayashi – Returned to Ontario where he is registered at the Canadian International Hockey Academy (CIHA). Hayashi plays for the CIHA Voyageurs Bantam AAA in the Ontario East Minor Hockey League Bantam Division
- Jackson Knight – Signed with the Niagara Whalers of the Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League. Knight spent last season playing for the Sydney Wolf Pack
- Jayden Lewis – Signed with the Niagara Whalers of the Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League
- Riley Major – Signed with the Bracebridge Blues of the Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League. Major spent the 2013-14 season playing with the Sydney Sabres, Penrith Raptors and Sydney Bears
- James Marino – Registered at the Canadian International Hockey Academy (CIHA) where he will play for the CIHA Voyageurs Minor AAA in the Ontario East Minor Hockey League Midget Division
- Jeremy Vasquez – Registered at the Canadian International Hockey Academy (CIHA) where he will play for the CIHA Voyageurs Bantam AAA in the Ontario East Minor Hockey League Bantam Division
- Nathan Walker – Currently signed with the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League and is on an entry level contract with the Washington Capitals
- Findlay Wood – Signed with the Iowa Wild AAA Elite U16 to play in the East Coast Elite League U16 division