The Perth Thunder have announced that forward Jonathon Bremner has left the club and will join the Melbourne Ice for the 2019 AIHL season. The move is the result of a job offer in Melbourne. Bremner played in 168 games for the Perth Thunder from 2012 to 2018, recording a total of 83 points. For more information see the announcement from the Perth Thunder.
The Southern Suns have won the 2016 Ultimate Ice Hockey Championship (UIHC) two games to one and claim their first tournament title. The Suns lost the opening game of the tournament continuing the Northern Stars unbeaten streak from 2015 where they won all three games and claimed the inaugural UIHC Cup. The Suns however bounced back winning Game 2 at the Perth Ice Arena before claiming the series in Game 3 at the Cockburn Ice Arena. The Suns defenceman Jamie Woodman was named the tournaments most valuable player.
For more information on the tournament see the website.
– Game 1: Northern Stars 4 – 2 Southern Suns (15 October 2016, Cockburn Ice Arena).
Game Recap. MVP: Jonathon Bremner
– Game 2: Northern Stars 2 – 3 Southern Suns (22 October 2016, Perth Ice Arena).
Game Recap. MVP: Rob Haselhurst
– Game 3: Northern Stars 2 – 6 Southern Suns (29 October 2016, Cockburn Ice Arena).
Game Recap. MVP: Andrew Cox
Below are a few article of interest posted during the week from some of the other Australian ice hockey focused websites
On the Fly Hockey
- Canberra’s future bright in the hands of the Junior Brave by Isaac Nowroozi. A look at the Junior Brave and how they are faring in their debut New South Wales Midget League season.
- Graham brings US experience to D-line by Bianca Gibson. A discussion with returning Melbourne Ice player Todd Graham.
- Wudrick lights up North Stars fortunes by Oliver Shultz. A discussion with Newcastle import Geordie Wudrick on his sucessful start to the season.
- Bremner fit for firing Thunder by Jordan Scardetta. A discussion with the Thunder’s Jonathon Bremner on the teams season so far.
Despite not announcing their team leaders for the the 2014 AIHL season the Perth Thunder have revealed one change to the lineup after this weeks double header against the Melbourne Ice. The change saw Corey Toy take over one of the two alternate captain roles from David Ruck. However due to Toy’s injuring early in the first game Jonathon Bremner has now taken on the position.