– The AIHL have released the participants for the All-Star Skills Competition on 2 June at Adelaide Ice Arena. The Melbourne Mustangs’ Nikita Kolesnikovs has been added to Team Boyle, while Mitchell Humphries appears to have pulled out of the competition. The Melbourne Ice’s Matt Armstrong and Thomas Powell have also not been named in any of the Skills Competitions and it is unclear whether they have withdrawn. See theAIHL.com for the list of participants.
– The Ice have announced their captains for the 2017 season. Lliam Webster has been named as captain with Matt Armstrong and Joseph Hughes as the two alternate captains.
The 2016 AIHL All-Star Weekend has finished with Team Schlamp defeating Team Armstrong 10-9 in the All-Star Game. Michael Schlamp of the Sydney Bears and Matt Armstrong led the two teams in the event which was held at the Penrith Ice Palace in Penrith. Michael Dorr of the Perth Thunder was awarded most valuable player of the match as well as being named best forward. The first day of the weekend consisted of the Skills Competition which saw players from three different teams win the events with the CBR Brave claiming three out of seven.
For more information on the Weekend including the team rosters see the event information article from the AIHL.
Skills Competition (17:00, 11 June 2016):
Schedule and list of participants
– Air Canada Fastest Skater: Patrick O’Kane (Melbourne Mustangs) – Details and results
– APA Group Breakaway Challenge: Geordie Wudrick (CBR Brave) – Details and results
– Haigh & Hastings Shooting Accuracy: Stephen Blunden (CBR Brave) – Details and results
– Rifle Media Stickhandling: Casey Kubara (CBR Brave) – Details and results
– Skaters Network Hardest Shot: James Isaacs (Melbourne Mustangs) – Details and results
– Ryzer Elimination Shootout: Brian Funes (Sydney Bears) – Details and results
– Goaltender Race: Anthony Kimlin (Sydney Bears)
All-Star Game (14:00, 12 June 2016)
– Team Schlamp 10 – 9 Team Armstrong
– Most Valuable Player: Michael Dorr (Perth Thunder)
– Best Forward: Michael Dorr
– Best Defenceman: Ryan Annesley (Sydney Bears)
– Best Goaltender: Anthony Kimlin (Sydney Bears)
– Best Australian Player: Rob Haselhurst (Perth Thunder)
The Australian Ice Hockey League have announced that the 2016 AIHL All-Star Weekend will be held on 11 and 12 June at the Penrith Ice Palace in Jamisontown. The weekend will again be presented by APA Group and will feature the skills competition on the 11th followed by the all-stars game on the 12th. Michael Schlamp will return to captain one of the two teams, while Matt Armstrong replaces Brian Bales as captain of the second team.
For more information on the event see the announcement on TheAIHL.com.