The Sydney Bears have defeated the Sydney Ice Dogs in Game 1 of the 2016 Wilson Cup. The first two periods of the game remained scoreless before Michael Schlamp scored the opener in the third period on a power play with assists from Tomas Landa and Brian Funes. Schlamp then scored the Bears second on a breakaway before David Dunwoodie got on back for the Ice Dogs.
In Game 2 the Ice Dogs defeated the Newcastle North Stars 5-1. The Ice Dogs opened the scoring with Scott Clemie of assists from Strat Allen and Remy Sandoy. They then extended their lead in the second with a goal by Adam Kimbley before the North Stars got one back to take the score to 2-1. Scott Stephenson scored the Ice Dogs third goal with the second period ending with a score of 3-1. Late in the third Kane Spence scored the Ice Dogs fourth goal which was followed by a fifth from Strat Allen.
Competition resumes on 2 April with the North Stars hosting the Ice Dogs in Newcastle.
– Game 1: Sydney Bears 2 – 1 Sydney Ice Dogs (18:15, 19 March 2016, Penrith Ice Arena)
– Game 2: Sydney Ice Dogs 5 – 1 Newcastle North Stars (17:00, 20 March 2016, Liverpool Catholic Club Ice Rink)
– Game 3: Newcastle North Stars – Sydney Ice Dogs (17:00, 2 April 2016, Hunter Ice Skating Stadium)
– Game 4: Sydney Bears – Newcastle North Stars (17:00, 3 April 2016, Penrith Ice Palace)
– Game 5: Newcastle North Stars – Sydney Bears (17:00, 9 April 2016, Hunter Ice Skating Stadium)
– Game 6: Sydney Ice Dogs – Sydney Bears (17:00, 10 April 2016, Liverpool Catholic Club Ice Rink)
– Final: Team 1 v Team 2 (16 April 2016, 17:00, 16 April 2016, Penrith Ice Palace)
Standings after Game 2:
|Sydney Ice Dogs||2||1||0||0||1||6||3||3|
|Newcastle North Stars||1||0||0||0||1||1||5||0|