The Melbourne Ice have announced the signing of Swedish goaltender Sebastian Andersson for the 2019 season. Andersson returns for his second season in the league after spending 2018 with the Adelaide Adrenaline. During the 2018-19 season Andersson returned to play for Hammarby IF in the Hockeyettan before moving across to the Southern Professional Hockey League to play for the Birmingham Bulls. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– New team staff: Johan Steenberg. Takes on the roles of Director of Player Development and Player Personnel. Formerly the goaltending coach of the Melbourne Ice (2014-2017). More information
Sydney Ice Dogs
– New signing: Bryan Kolodziejczyk. Position: Forward. 2017-18: Albatros de Brest (FFHG Division 1) – 40 games, 50 points. More information
– New sponsor: Holiday Inn Express Sydney Macquarie Park. New sponsor for the 2018 season. More information
– The Ice Dogs have partnered with Cheapskate Hockey to create a line of merchandise and a third jersey. The alternative jersey will feature a redesigned bulldog logo.
– The Ice have announced the signing of Swedish forward Filip Petersson for the upcoming season. Petersson is currently the captain of Tranås AIF, a team in the Swedish Hockeyettan. During the 2017-18 season he has recorded 34 points in 41 games.
– The Mustangs have signed Finnish goaltender Petri Pitkänen for the 2018 season. Pitkänen last played in the AIHL during 2014 for the CBR Brave where he completed the regular season with a 0.906 save percentage. During his time away from the AIHL Pitkänen has spent three seasons with KeuPa HT of the Mestis, the most recent being the 2016-17 season. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Northstars have signed three Sydney Bears players for the 2018 season, forwards Tomas Landa and Richard Tesarik and defenceman Patrick Ward. Landa has played six seasons in the AIHL and has recorded 234 points in 134, all for the Sydney Bears. Tesarik will be playing in his seventh AIHL season, having previously played three seasons for both the Ice Dogs and Bears. He currently has 72 points from 111 games. Ward’s 2018 season will be his sixth having previously played two with the Ice Dogs and three for the Bears. He currently has 56 points from 131 games. For more information see the announcement from the club
– The Melbourne Ice have signed Swedish forward Kristoffer Backman for the upcoming 2017 season. Backman has spent the 2016-17 season playing for Vimmerby HC in the Hockeyettan, recording seven points in 44 games. Prior to joining Vimmerby Backman spent three seasons with Östersunds IK, also of Hockeyettan. For more information see the article by the Vimmerby Tidning.
– The Bears have announced the signing of Cameron Smith for the 2016 season. Smith has been playing for Army Knights of the Australian Defence Force Ice Hockey Association. The signing follows the recent partnership made between the Bears and the Army Knights back in March. Smith played in his first game for the Bears during the Wilson Cup match against the Ice Dogs on 19 March. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– The Brave have announced the signing of defender Art Bidlevskii for the upcoming 2016 season. Bidlevskii spent the 2015-16 season playing for Kallinge-Ronneby IF in the Swedish Hockeyettan. Bidlevskii has previously played in the American Hockey League and the ECHL.