– Former captain Samuel Wilson’s has retired from the AIHL having played from 2012 to 2017, captaining in all but his last season. Wilson did not start the 2018 season for the Thunder however his retirement has only just been confirmed by the club. Wilson played a total of 141 games and recorded 73 points. For more information see the announcement from the club
2016 All-Star Weekend
– The AIHL have released the preliminary rosters for the upcoming 2016 AIHL All-Star Weekend. The event is scheduled to take place at the Penrith Ice Palace on 11 June and 12 June with the two teams captained by Michael Schlamp and Matt Armstrong. For more information including the list of players see the announcement from the league.
Newcastle North Stars
– The North Stars have announced that defender David Ferrari has signed with Dunedin Thunder of the New Zealand Ice Hockey League for the 2016 season. Ferrari will continue with the North Stars until the end of May before departing for the start of the New Zealand season in June. He is however expected to return to the North Stars lineup for the 2017 AIHL season. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– The Thunder have announced that captain Sam Wilson is expected to miss six weeks after suffering a break in his arm in last weekends double header against the CBR Brave. Andrew Cox will take over the captaincy in his absence while Anthony Nottle will fill his place in the lineup. The injury will mean that Wilson will miss his first AIHL game since the Thunder joined the league in 2012. For more information see the club announcement.
– Fellow defender Per Daniel Goransson has also been placed on the injury list due to a slight muscle tear. He is expected to return to the lineup for the double header in Perth against the Melbourne Ice.
Defenceman Greg Hyde will also hit a milestone this weekend, playing in his 50th game on Sunday.
Radio station Nova 93.7FM has signed on with the club as a new sponsor. The length of the deal is currently unknown.
Adrian Esposito will play in his 200th AIHL game this Saturday when the Bears face-off against the Brave. EliteProspects.com suggests that the mark was passed last weekend however AIHL statistics prior to 2011 are a bit questionable.
Despite not announcing their team leaders for the the 2014 AIHL season the Perth Thunder have revealed one change to the lineup after this weeks double header against the Melbourne Ice. The change saw Corey Toy take over one of the two alternate captain roles from David Ruck. However due to Toy’s injuring early in the first game Jonathon Bremner has now taken on the position.
Meanwhile Samuel Wilson has retained his captaincy for the third year running and Andrew Cox continues on in his role as second of the teams alternate captains.