Round 10 of the 2017 Australian Ice Hockey League season has finished with wins for the Melbourne Ice, Sydney Ice Dogs, Melbourne Mustangs, CBR Brave and Perth Thunder. The Ice move into top spot on the ladder, three points ahead of the second placed Brave. Next week all eight teams are in action across seven games.
The match on 1 July between the Melbourne Ice and Sydney Bears also served as the fourth annual Canada Day Classic. The Ice won the Classic 6-4 claiming the title for the first time with the Bears having previously won in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
The match between the Perth Thunder and Sydney Ice Dogs served as the 2017 Matt Clark Shield, an award that was originally contested from 1995 to 2001 at the Warringah Bombers’ Matt Clark Memorial Games. The game is dedicated to former Bombers player Matt Clark who passed away due to Leukaemia in 1995. The Ice Dogs won the shield for the second year in a row, defeating the Thunder 6-4. Last year the Ice Dogs defeated the Adrenaline to claim the title.
For more information see the AIHL website.
Round 10 results:
– Sydney Bears 4-6 Melbourne Ice (17:00, 1 July 2017, O’Brien Group Arena)
– Perth Thunder 3-5 Sydney Ice Dogs (17:00, 1 July 2017, Macquarie Ice Rink)
– Melbourne Mustangs 5-3 CBR Brave (17:30, 1 July 2017, Phillip Ice Skating Centre)
– Sydney Bears 5-6 Melbourne Ice (16:00, 2 July 2017, O’Brien Group Arena)
– Melbourne Mustangs 5-6 SO CBR Brave (17:00, 2 July 2017, Phillip Ice Skating Centre)
– Perth Thunder 5-4 SO Newcastle Northstars (17:00, 2 July 2017, Hunter Ice Skating Stadium)
Standings at the end of Round 10:
|Sydney Ice Dogs||14||7||0||0||7||21|