– The Brave have been named the 2018 Canberra Sports Team of the Year at the CBR Sports Awards. For more information see the announcement from the club or the article from the Canberra Times.
– Johan Steenberg will join the club in 2019 as Director of Operations. Steenberg previously served as the Ice’s goaltending coach from 2014 to 2017 before joining the CBR Brave in 2018 as Director of Player Development and Player Personnel. For more information see the statement released by the Steenberg on the Brave’s website.
The Australian Ice Hockey League have announced the winners of the final threee awards for the 2018 season. The Sydney Bears took out two categories with Anthony Kimlin named goaltender of the year and Ron Kuprowsky named coach of the year. The CBR Brave took out the remaining category with Wehebe Darge named Skaters Network local player of the year.
For details on how the voting process works see the release from the AIHL.
The Brave held their 2018 awards night on 20 August.
– Most Valuable Player: Trevor Gerling and Matt Hewitt
– Best Forward: Chris Leveille
– Best Defender: Channing Bresciani
– Leading Points: Trevor Gerling
– Emerging Brave: Mitchell Henning
– Players Player: Wehebe Darge
– Coaches Award: Kai Miettinen
– Fans Choice: Matt Hewitt
– John Lewis Memorial Award: Darryl Day
– Deans Award: Tristan Metcalfe
– Forward Jordan Gavin has announced his retirement from the AIHL at the end of the 2018 season. Gavin played thirteen seasons in the AIHL from 2006 to 2018, eight with the Canberra Knights and five with the Brave. Gavin also represented Australia at the World Championships in 2011 and 2012.
– The Brave have announced the re-signing of Wehebe Darge for the 2019 season. The signing will see Darge enter his third season with the club since moving across from the Adelaide Adrenaline before the start of the 2017 season. Before joining the Brave Darge played seven seasons with the Adrenaline from 2009 to 2016. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– Tynan Theobald made his debut for the club on 7 July. Serving as a backup to Matt Hewitt, Theodald was put in the net during the third period but was pulled after five minutes having let in three goals on five shots. Theobald spent his 2017-18 season playing for both the New Tecumseth Civics and London Lakers in the Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League.
Sydney Ice Dogs
– Kale Costa joined the team for the first time this season in their 8 July game against the Adelaide Adrenaline. Kosta played two games for the Ice Dogs in 2017 and has spent the 2017-18 season playing for HC Slovan Usti nad Labem U16 in the ELIOD Extraliga mladšího dorostu where he finished as the teams top scorer with 39 points from 33 games.
– The Brave have released pictures of their Pride Game jerseys which will be worn during their 7 July match against the Melbourne Mustangs. For details and pictures of the jerseys see the post on the club’s Facebook page.