The Australian Ice Hockey League have announced the winners of the final threee awards for the 2018 season. The Sydney Bears took out two categories with Anthony Kimlin named goaltender of the year and Ron Kuprowsky named coach of the year. The CBR Brave took out the remaining category with Wehebe Darge named Skaters Network local player of the year.
– Forward Jordan Gavin has announced his retirement from the AIHL at the end of the 2018 season. Gavin played thirteen seasons in the AIHL from 2006 to 2018, eight with the Canberra Knights and five with the Brave. Gavin also represented Australia at the World Championships in 2011 and 2012.
The Brave have announced that forward Ainars Podzins has left the club in order to begin pre-season training in France. Podzins played 17 games for the Brave, scoring a total of 35 points. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– The Brave have announced the re-signing of Wehebe Darge for the 2019 season. The signing will see Darge enter his third season with the club since moving across from the Adelaide Adrenaline before the start of the 2017 season. Before joining the Brave Darge played seven seasons with the Adrenaline from 2009 to 2016. For more information see the announcement from the club.
Sydney Ice Dogs
– Kale Costa joined the team for the first time this season in their 8 July game against the Adelaide Adrenaline. Kosta played two games for the Ice Dogs in 2017 and has spent the 2017-18 season playing for HC Slovan Usti nad Labem U16 in the ELIOD Extraliga mladšího dorostu where he finished as the teams top scorer with 39 points from 33 games.
– The Brave have released pictures of their Pride Game jerseys which will be worn during their 7 July match against the Melbourne Mustangs. For details and pictures of the jerseys see the post on the club’s Facebook page.
– The Adrenaline have released a picture of their Canada Day jerseys which will be worn during their game against the CBR Brave on 1 July. For a picture of the jerseys see the post on the club’s Facebook page and for more information on the game see the article on their website
– Jakob Doornbos and Nickolas Eckhardt made their first appearance on the bench for the club this season with both goaltenders serving as backup in a game each against the Melbourne Mustangs. Doornbos and Eckhardt were were called up to fill in for regular backup goaltender Alex Tetrault.
– James Downie joined the team for the first time this weekend in Sydney and Newcastle. Downie started in the Ice’s game against the Sydney Ice Dogs and backed-up for Jaden Pine-Murphy in Newcastle. Downie recently returned from the United States where he has been playing for Meijer AAA Hockey 18U
– Maksim Shneider has made his debut for the Melbourne Ice, lining up in the game against the Newcastle Northstars. The Russian born Shneider has been playing in the Victorian Premier League for the Melbourne Sharks where he currently has five points from six games.
– The Bears have signed Kayne Fedor for their 24 June game against the Adelaide Adrenaline. The signing looks to have been made to avoid falling below the minimum number of players for a game after Ryan Lough and Fredrik Rozenberg did not return to the lineup after the 23 June match. Fedor last played in the AIHL for the Adrenaline in 2016 and is currently signed with the Adelaide Tigers in the South Australian Premier League.