– The Ice have announced the formation of the Melbourne Ice University (MIU) brand which will be used for their ice hockey education and academy styled programs. For more information see the announcement from the club.
– A few days late reporting this but the Ice announced two of their player awards on 8 September. Declan Bronte won the 2018 best new talent award and Tommy Powell was named player of the year for the 2018 season.
– The Mustangs held their annual Players v Sponsors match today at the O’Brien Group Arena with the Sponsors winning 14-11.
– The AIHL Podcast have announced that forward Vladimir Rubes has retired from the league following the conclusion of the 2018 season. Rubes played 16 seasons for the Bears from 2000 to 2018 and represented Australia at the World Championships on eight occassions between 2000 and 2009.
The 2018 AIHL playoffs have finished with the CBR Brave defeating the Sydney Bears 4-3 in overtime. The win gives the Brave their first Goodall Cup since joining the league in 2014. The Brave progressed to the final after defeating the Melbourne Mustangs 5-1 in the semifinals while the Bears defeated the Perth Thunder 3-0 in their semifinal. For the sixth year running the finals are sponsored by Air Canada.
The CBR Brave’s Trevor Gerling was named the playoffs most valuable player and Wehebe Darge was named the Skaters Network local player of the finals.
– SF1: Melbourne Mustangs 1-5 CBR Brave (15:00, 1 September 2018, O’Brien Group Arena)
– SF2: Perth Thunder 0-3 Sydney Bears (18:00, 1 September 2018, O’Brien Group Arena)
– GF: Sydney Bears 3-4 OT CBR Brave (15:00, 2 September 2018, O’Brien Group Arena)
The Sydney Ice Dogs have won the 2018 Wilson Cup after winning the series against the Sydney Bears 3-1. The Wilson Cup is awarded to the winner of the four game regular season series between the Bears and Ice Dogs. Previously the Wilson Cup was contested for in a pre-season tournament between the New South Wales based clubs before it was re-purposed to its current form last season.
– Sydney Bears 1-5 Sydney Ice Dogs (5 May 2018)
– Sydney Ice Dogs 3-2 SO Sydney Bears (26 May 2018)
– Sydney Ice Dogs 0-5 Sydney Bears (13 July 2018)
– Sydney Bears 2-7 Sydney Ice Dogs (24 August 2018)
The AIHL have announced that they are looking to raise $5,000 in order to stream the 2018 AIHL playoffs. The playoffs commence on 1 September with the semifinals and conclude on 2 September with the Goodall Cup final. If the fundraising is successful the stream will be run on the AIHL’s YouTube channel.
The Australian Ice Hockey League have announced the winners of the final threee awards for the 2018 season. The Sydney Bears took out two categories with Anthony Kimlin named goaltender of the year and Ron Kuprowsky named coach of the year. The CBR Brave took out the remaining category with Wehebe Darge named Skaters Network local player of the year.